Wednesday, September 23, 2009

See You At the Pole (& Net) 2009

by Pastor Nick

Today I was inspired again by the students of Wayne County! At 6:57 on my cell phone I sat in the Wooster High School parking lot in my car with the rain pouring down & thinking, "bummer". Today was the annual See You At the Pole where students gather at their school to pray for their school and to be counted for the cause of Christ on their school campus. I have to wonder how many adults would have just said, "I'm not going...it's raining" or maybe "alright, it's raining, I'm leaving." I wonder because I thought that too.

Then at 7:07 I was standing at the flag pole (it was still raining) with over 75 students, singing, praying, & encouraging each other. Some one asked me "What's the value of this anyway?" Well obviously prayer is a value of any follower of Christ. But what about the concept of ministry presence. Having people see that there are followers of Christ on their campus. And what about the body of Christ. I would be in the circle of 75 students some were standing there thinking, "Oh, she's a Christian? Oh, he's a Christian" It's good to see the body come together like that!

I know my experience wasn't isolated so here's what some people shared with me already today:

"41 @ Triway...7 or so from Grace" - one student from Grace led the time in prayer
"75 @ Wooster...15 or so from Grace" - one student from Grace led the worship & another led out in closing prayer. Most were underclassmen so the future is REALLY bright!
"41 @ Norwayne...13 or so from Grace" - two from Grace led worship, read verses, & a challenge was given.

One parent said, "It was so great! Just wanted to remind us all that students in Wayne county do care!"

Then there was the not so publicized SYATN (not SYATP) that I witnessed last night...It was See You At the Net. After a volleyball game last night both teams gathered (probably over 20 total) at the net & thanked God for His blessings & safety while playing. Conferences foes, but united by something way greater! It happens all over the place, but this week it's been refreshing for me to see & experience. Thanks to the students who step up for Christ!

2 comments:

Josh Atkins said...

I also got to see a "See You @ the Net." I was at a Northwestern/John R. Lea (Waynedale) 8th grade game and before their game, both teams made a big circle and prayed together. It was really cool and honestly, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Life with la familia said...

Awesome! So encouraging to hear that there are lots of underclassmen at Wooster that morning. I pray my kids are around that pole lifting up the name of Christ someday!