Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009 - 8 years ago today...

by Pastor Nick

9-1-1. September 11. Numbers & Dates that for Americans say over the age of 14 are awfully meaningful and horrific all in one. A date that changed the pace of American life. I was a new Pastor about 1 month into leading a small church in the mountains of Virginia. I was newly married. I was in Seminary. That was 8 years ago. The events of that day shook the core of our freedom and we said we 'learned' lessons & vowed we'd change our priorities.

But instead I wonder if we've just inconvenienced ourselves into more rules trying to protect the very life we aren't garunteed another breath of?

What I mean is exactly what I taught students this past Sunday in HSM. Sometimes life is just so much fun we don't stop and think of God, want to pause and realize we are really dependent creatures, or even admit we are vulnerable. There are days we live like this. But then another look a life, a closer look reveals more to life than fun. I unpacked this from the 4th chapter of James:

1. Life is Hard
2. Life is Unpredictable
3. Life is Short

So in light of those realities we discover a total dependancy on God who "does not change" - Malahai 3:16. So Nick, how do you propose we should live? Well, I think God answered in James 4:15, "Instead you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'"

I'm asking myself to revisit the pain of September 11th from an innocent bystandard's perspective and draw more lessons that airport security from it. Maybe we could all do well to look at a full reality of life and admit our need for help...help that only comes in the LORD Jesus Christ!

No comments: