Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Question Cards

by Josh Atkins

We just recently instituted "Question Cards" where students can write down questions that they have and I (someone) will answer their questions on Sunday morning (our main program). Here is the first question I received...


"My friend used to go to a strong Christian church. Then about a year ago, her family started attending a Universal Unitarian Church. She is convinced that we are all evolved from apes. I know she doesn't believe the whole Bible is true. I don't even think she believes there is a God that I tell her about. What should I say to her? Should I try to convince her otherwise?"


My Initial thoughts/responses:


- I'm pretty sure that a girl wrote this question. Mostly because of the handwriting...and because middle school guys don't have too many friends that are girls (or was that just me?).


- I need to do some research on the Unitarian Church. While I've heard different things about them, I don't want to say something about them that I haven't first read for myself.


- Is this really where I want to open the Creation vs. Evolution can? I'm thinking maybe a series as opposed to a 5-7 "element" in our service.


- The Bible's validity is being called into question. And if this friend doesn't believe that the Bible is true, no amount of proof-texts are going to show her that it is true. It might be time to get out the "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" book.


- She is already sharing her faith with this friend. She talks about God and says, "that I tell her about." The relationship is there and the groundwork is already being laid. She is doing exactly what she should be doing.


Any thoughts/responses from your end?

No comments: