Wednesday, September 10, 2008

College Drop Off

by Michelle Ream

So, now I know how it feels to go through the college process and drive away leaving your kid standing in his dorm room door. Yes, as unbelievable as it seems, last weekend was my turn to drop my firstborn off to begin his next phase of life at Grace College. So many mixed emotions go into it! So many praises at the end of the weekend!

It all began with a year full of scholarship searching, applications to fill out, visits to campus, and of course those crazy financial aid papers. Then came the awards ceremonies at school, preparing for graduation, throw in a trip to Germany for him, and the finale of it all- The Graduation Party! Immediately, it was on to organizing, shopping, packing, shopping, packing some more, and did I mention shopping? WOW! So much goes in to getting ready for college. Why didn’t someone tell me!

Before I knew it, the summer was winding down, we were packing the SUV, grandparents and younger siblings were saying their goodbyes, and on the road we were- College Road Trip (a little surprised there was room for the student).


As we pull into campus, the hustle and bustle is evident! Smiling faces and a flurry of activity greet us at registration. What a process! Then it’s move-in time. Will it be on the first or third floor? Will we ruin our backs in the moving process? As we pull up to Beta, we are a little overwhelmed by the mass of students standing around the front door. A girl chases us down, “Pull up to the front door and we’ll take it from there!” she says with a smile. WOW! In a matter of 5 minutes, they moved him in with not a single item touched by my son, my husband, or me. Amazing!

The time on campus that weekend was filled with meals, meetings, chapel, welcomes, and so much more. Everyone expected me to cry, and of course a few tears were shed over the course of the 2 days there, but there was something else. I was so amazed at the sense of thankfulness that filled my spirit.

As God spoke to me that weekend, my level of thankfulness grew and grew. How did we get here, at a place like Grace? What did we do to deserve the chance to experience this kind of environment? Why do I feel more overwhelmed by that than by the fact that I’m leaving my kid?


GRACE! Something I’m learning a lot about over the last few years. GRACE! In our everyday lives, given to us from our Father on a day to day basis. GRACE! Not just a place, like my son’s college, but something God offers to us freely everyday. GRACE! Thanks to Him for that wonderful gift! GRACE! Extend it to others today!

No comments: