Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life Changing Moments

by Josh Atkins

One of my favorite blogs to read is by a pastor at Granger named Tim Stevens. I dig his unique look at culture and its interactions with the church. And most recently, he had a post that had reflected a conversation that my wife and I were having with a couple of friends on the way home from a little jet-skiing. We talked about “Turning Points” in our lives that shaped who we are today, and then I recently read Tim’s blog post with the title “Life Changing Moments” which was along the same lines.


So here are some of my “Life-Changing Moments”



1982 - I was born. Changed my life.



1987 (5 years old) - Through lessons at church and talks (you don’t have “conversations” when you’re 4) with my parents, I accept Jesus Christ into my life.



1994 (12 years old) - After 6 years of piano lessons, my parents get me a pair of drumsticks and an oversized hockey puck (drum pad) and the rest is, well, history.



1995 (13 years old) - After spending my entire life in a Christian school, I begin 7th grade at Lexington Junior High School and begin the slow process of fading into the crowd and letting my relationship with Christ sit, untouched for 3 years.



1998 (16 years old) - My dad takes the youth pastor job at Wooster Grace and I move to Wooster in between my 9th and 10th grade year. This move, I believe, single-handedly saved my life. It got me connected with some great guys in the youth group and ultimately changed the whole trajectory of my life.



2002 (20 years old) - I finally pull the trigger and change my major from Biblical Studies with a Missions minor to Health and Physical education. I see God build in me a heart for students that would carry me through the rest of my college career (including my extra year, thank you very much.)



2003 (21 years old) - As a leader at Grace College, my faith becomes my own as I struggle with my own philosophy of ministry and what is important in my life. But working with great leaders like Jack Rants and Scott Feather, I’m brought to a greater understanding of my own heart as a leader. I also meet a freshman named Amber who I begin to date in April (2004) and would marry 3 years later (Giddeyup!).



2005 (23 years old) - While student teaching at Madison Elementary School and Edgewood Middle School in Warsaw, Indiana, I realize that my heart is truly with students and look forward to having a job that would let me spend lots of time with them.



2006 (24 years old) - After much prompting from the people around me, I apply for the Junior High position at Wooster Grace and return to the place where my heart for God, ministry, and people was developed and encouraged by leaders and peers. I return to my heart in hopes that God can use me in the same way to ignite 7th and 8th graders with a passion for Him, serving, and of course, people.



2007 (25 years old) - Amber and I get married. What can I say? It has been, is, and will be amazing getting to know her and I look forward to the many years of life and ministry that we will have. I love you, lady!



So what are some Life-Changing Moments in your life? How have you seen God use circumstances to guide you and lead you to the place you are now? Think about it. It’s a great exercise and I promise, once you do it, you’ll have a greater appreciation for God’s hand and His providence. What a great God we serve!

No comments: